left shoulder detail
I picked up this over-sized plaid shirt at a garage sale. So sorry but my before pic didn’t turn out. This was an easy refashion but I wanted to show it to you all so you can see how some very simple changes make something much more wearable.
I took in the shirt by running a stitch up both sides from the hem to right under the arm, tapering it out to meet the old seam at the arm hole. Then I stitched another line from the cuffs to the top of the shirt, tapering it out to meet the old arm hole.
I had some appliques in my stash that matched this top perfectly. I hand-stitched them to each shoulder, going for an asymmetric look rather than trying to make them look exactly the same. Add a belt and my fifty cent garage sale purchase is now a cute new tunic.
the whole shabang
I’ve been into taking scarves that I love but never wear and making them into clothing that I will wear. This scarf was a large square which I folded in half so that it was a triangle. I cut a long oval at the folded edge of the triangle that was big enough to slip over my head. I was a little too ambitious with my cut though and it was way too big. I tried gathering the neckline to the right size and while that worked well it didn’t look very good. Solution: I left it gathered and used the sleeve from a workout jacket which I no longer wear to make a collar for my poncho
a little off-the-shoulder action
twisted rose at the shoulder
I had a halter dress that I loved and wore a lot – a few years ago. The rule in my closet is that no matter how much I love it, if I’m not wearing it then it gets moved to the refashion closet.
I had an idea I wanted to try out and this dress ...
+ this t-shirt would be the perfect pieces for this experiment.
The first step is to remove the bodice from the skirt.
Bye-bye dress, hello skirt and new top.
I removed the cute little applique from the t-shirt. I’m not that into appliques, but this one has potential for a future refashion.
Whada ya' think? Pretty cute, right?
Then I cut across the t-shirt right under the arm cycles to get a tube which will become the waistband/bodice of my new skirt/strapless dress. All I had to do was sew the tube to the skirt. Since the t-shirt was too large, I had more fabric than I needed to make this a secure waistband. So I sewed up the length of the tube, allowing the excess fabric to cascade into a ruffle. When the waistband is folded down the ruffle is hidden, and when the waistband is extended the ruffle is a nice detail.
Here's the waistband folded down to make this a skirt.
And here is the waistband extended to make a strapless dress.
And here's another look, with the ruffle in the front.
Gotta love a two-fer!
Way to rescue a dress headed for the landfill Marissa.
I never would have guessed that this dress could have turned out so fabulous! Now go out a save a dress.